Old Courthouse on Santa Clara Street, Ventura, CA

Image

Old Courthouse on Santa Clara Street, Ventura, CA

Title

Old Courthouse on Santa Clara Street, Ventura, CA

Identifier

9093
6028

Source

Charles Outland Collection, 1983 [9093]

Description

Exterior view of the old Ventura County Courthouse on Santa Clara Street in Ventura. A horse and surrey are on the dirt road in front of the two story building. The jail can be seen in the rear.

[6028] Verso inscription: "Main building built in 1874 - East wing added 1878 & 1884. Four rooms added on west end. Jail built at time of addition in 1884. Tower added around 1900. New Courthouse, dedicated July 1913 - West additions - 1932."

Creator

Merrill, Edward M.

Date

Circa late 1800s

Format

18 x 12 cm [9093]
Black and white photograph [9093]
13.5 x 21.5 cm [6028]
Sepia photograph [6028]

Subject

Ventura County Courthouse (1873-1913)
Courthouses

Coverage

California
Ventura County (Calif.)
Ventura (Calif.)

Publisher

Museum of Ventura county

Rights

The copyright to this image has not been determined. These images are intended for personal or research use only. Please contact library staff for rights determinations and additional uses.

Type

Image

Language

English

Collection

Citation

Merrill, Edward M., “Old Courthouse on Santa Clara Street, Ventura, CA,” Research Library at The Museum of Ventura County, accessed April 20, 2024, http://photographs.venturamuseum.org/items/show/463.